Friday 9 December 2011

Birthday in Cambodia

                                    Angkor Wat at sunrise

Kevin’s birthday was a couple of days ago, and we spent the first half of the day finishing off our temple tour at Angkor Wat. Our night bus from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh wasn’t until midnight that night, so we had a lot of hours to kill. We decided to check into a hostel for those hours, so that at least we could shower and have somewhere to put our bags.

Across the street from our hostel, I noticed there was a sign that read “Jimmy’s Village School” and there was a sign which asked for volunteers to drop by and help out in any way they wish. I made a mental note to come back later that evening to see what the “school” was about.  When I did venture back, there were at least 50 kids belting out English sentences. Some kids were seated on makeshift tables and benches, and the rest were standing by the back listening and learning intently to the guy who was in front of the “classroom.” Jimmy, as it turned out, was a local Cambodian who wanted to offer free English lessons to kids in the city after school. He started up the school 4 months ago in front of his mother’s laundry shop. One the first day, there were 4 kids that showed up. On the second day, there were 10. And now, merely 4 months later, he sees about 100 or so kids everyday who show up religiously to his classes.

Jimmy said that in Cambodia, to go to public school is free, but the mandatory stationary likes pencils and books are not, which results in kids not being able to afford continue going to school. English is not offered in schools unless you go to a private school, which is very expensive. Jimmy’s a student himself, studying English Literature in university. However, after this year, he’ll most likely have to quit because he cannot afford it. University tuition is $420…a year. Despite this, he’s determined to continue offering free classes to anyone who wants to come, and has grand plans of seeing his ambitious ideas blossom into reality.

It was such a nice change to talk to a local Cambodian who just wanted to do good for his community and his country. As travellers, and most of the time as a tourist, you can’t help but immerse your travels in self-indulgence and gluttony. As a result, most of the locals that you meet are only after your money. Meeting Jimmy, and being surrounded by the kids was like a breath of fresh air. I was only there for about an hour talking with the students and answering their questions, but during that time, I have never felt such curiosity, passion, and dedication from any of the students that I have ever taught. At first they were shy and hesitant to ask me questions like what I did that day, but it didn’t take long for them to be shouting out what they wanted to be when they grew up – a business man, a doctor, a lawyer, and a teacher.

Near the end of the hour, Kevin came to check out the scene. I had told the students earlier that it was Kevin’s birthday, and when he came to sit in front of the classroom beside me, they sang him two rounds of Happy Birthday, once in English, and once in their language, Khmer. I wish I had gotten it on video. One student, whose English was quite good, was even quizzing Kevin about my favourite food and what I like to do in my free time!  

I wish we could have done more to help Jimmy, but with our time constraints and our lack of funds, it feels like our hands are somewhat tied. We left that night on our night bus to Phnom Penh pensive but hopeful. I really do hope that his dreams for his school are realized, and that hundreds of more kids can benefit from his kindness.

You can check out Jimmy’s facebook page to learn more about him and the school, and maybe even send him a few encouraging words. 


http://www.facebook.com/groups/189594284440704/

2 comments:

  1. Love this blog! I was wondering if I can find something here about how you guys have celebrated Kevin's birthday, and Lily didn't let me down :D. I really love your words and I'm deeply touched by Jimmy's story. I can see that the book of 'Kevin and Lily in Transit' is coming into shape!

    ReplyDelete